Friday, April 10, 2015

Saying Hello! Part One: Rules for Greetings

Doggone safe is an organization dedicated to preventing dog bites. They regularly share links to articles on preventing bites. Today they posted an article about children greeting dogs. You can find that article here:
http://www.dogsandbabieslearning.com/2010/02/25/may-i-pet-your-dog/

It inspired me to make a series of blog posts about dog greetings. We want our dogs to greet other humans politely and safely. But to ensure the safety of everyone involved, the humans must follow some rules, too! Today's topic of focus: Rules for interactions.

Rana LOVES kids!

Rana LOVES attention, especially from children. But I still insist that everyone (parents, children, me and my dog) follow some rules during interactions. When someone asks, "Oh what a beautiful dog! May I pet her?" I say absolutely. Then I tell Rana to "go say hi." She knows to wait calmly for this cue. Without it, Rana is not allowed to greet a strange human or dog. When given the cue, she is to approach the human (NOT the other way around). This gives her and I much more control. I watch for loose, wiggly body language but also calm, polite behavior.

Your dog should look happy and relaxed when greeting others! 

Rules for the dog: You must be given the cue to "go say hi." You must be polite and calm. But enjoy yourself! No need to stay in a perfect sit, but four feet must be on the ground at all times. NOTE: In future blog posts we will talk about how to prevent jumping up during greetings. This DOES require us to ask our dogs to sit for greetings (a dog who is sitting cannot jump up). But when your dog is able to greet politely without jumping up we do not have to insist that they sit perfectly during interactions.

Rules for me: I will pay attention to my DOG during interactions with other people. I will watch for signs of stress (licking lips, yawning, stiff posture etc) and will remove my dog immediately if she shows any of these signs. I will watch her to make sure she is behaving politely.  I will also watch the human. If petting seems to rough at any time, I will remove my dog. If at any time the human or dog break the rules, it is my responsibility to end the interaction.

Rules for those petting my dog: Please get permission before petting my animal. Sometimes if I notice you admiring my dog, because she loves attention SO much, I may ask if you would like to pet her. You may say no. If you say yes or if you ask me if you may pet my dog, I will instruct my dog to go to you. Please pet her gently. Do not hover right above her face (scary for most dogs but for mine, an irresistible temptation to do a little hop to kiss your face. I will have to end the interaction if this happens as it is not polite behavior from the dog). If at any point I notice you petting my dog roughly, hovering above her face, or if at any point I notice stress signals from her, I will end the interaction.

So those are my rules for saying hello to a strange human! Everyone (dog and human) involved must be calm and polite.


No comments:

Post a Comment